The above image shows some of my final reads of 2020. I would recommend all of them. Moon Tiger by Penelope Lively is an extremely moving and technically brilliant read (if you haven’t already read it).
Where the Crawdad’s Sing and The Thursday Murder Club should also be in the image but I had to give those books back to their owners. The Thursday Murder Club is a lot of fun and I would recommend it as an antidote to these dim January days.
I think if I had to pick my favourite (top 5) contemporary or recently published novels out of those I’ve read this year, I would choose.
- Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout (and Olive Again)
- Where the Crawdad’s Sing by Delia Owens
- Girl, Woman, Other by Bernadine Evaristo
- The Wife by Meg Wolitzer
- The Confession by Jessie Burton
- Redhead by the Side of the Road by Anne Tyler
An all female list this year! (And obviously I couldn’t pick just five…)